Overview of Benefits
Supporting your Society is supporting your discipline — and also empowering your Society to support you, in your research, teaching, professional activities, and career pursuits.
Join today. Be a part of this vitally important organization, founded in 1899 to promote the advancement of science, mentor the next generation, and work together as a community to our mutual benefit.
Please see the membership classes page to find the category of membership that fits you best and the benefits specific to that category.
The majority of the Society's members can:
- Save 15% on your share of the author charges for one paper published in an AAS journal, i.e., the Astronomical Journal, the Astrophysical Journal, Letters, or Supplement, or the Planetary Science Journal when renewing your membership during the Society's annual renewal drive. Conditions apply. (Learn more)
- Present talks at AAS meetings and save on registration
- Join AAS Divisions at the discounted AAS member rate
- Vote in AAS and (where applicable) Division elections
- Subscribe to Sky & Telescope at the discounted AAS member rate
- Receive competitive insurance rates through the American Physical Society Insurance Trust (APSIT)
- Stay current with the member-only AAS News Digest and email alerts
- Hold elected office, and serve on or chair committees
- Receive a free copy of Physics Today, plus discounts on AAS-IOP ebooks and special rates on Annual Review publications, such as the Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Feel secure in an environment of trust and accountability under the Society's Professional Ethics
- Submit nominations for AAS grants, prizes, and awards